May 13, 2019
Recovery is one of the two factors in the Stress Recovery
Adaptation (SRA) model, and when you boil it down, there are really
only two elements of recovery worth worrying about: food and sleep.
Sleep is something we all know we need, but often struggle to get
enough of. With work demands, family demands, and the gauntlet of
digital distractions lining the path to the bedroom, it sometimes
seems like sleep is out of our control. To some extent, for some
people (like the parents of newborns), that may be true. However,
there are sleep factors we can control!
Sleep quality is as much the result of your
sleeping environment as the amount of time you spend sleeping
there. The optimal sleeping environment comes down to individual
preference, but here are some things you should try first:
- Get a quality mattress (or replace your old one). It doesn't
have to be expensive! Several highly rated memory foam mattresses
are available on Amazon for as little as a few hundred
- If you sleep with a significant other, use separate blankets so
you don't disturb each other during the night.
- Turn the thermostat down -- most people sleep better with the
temperature below 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn off the phone before bedtime, preferably an hour before.
The blue light that digital screens emit can make restful deep
sleep states harder to achieve. This includes any ringtones,
notifications, or other distracting noises your phone might make
during the night.
- White noise can help light sleepers from waking due to
intermittent noises during the night. There are apps for this, or
you can use something simple like a fan to create steady
- If your sleep quality has been poor, do a sleep study! Sleep
apnea may be robbing your sleep and your gainz, but can be
corrected with a CPAP machine.
Got a question for Matt and Scott? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and
we'll answer your question on an upcoming Saturday Q&A!
- Use discount code LOGIC to save 10% off
microplates, dumbbell microplates, and more at Microgainz
- Use discount code LOGIC to save $10 off belts
and more at Dominion
- Use the discount code LOGIC to save $79
off your first month of coaching at Starting Strength
Connect With Matt